Thursday 16 July 2009

Colour changing Hugh

IS July 15 too early to be going to a football match?
Probably, but Bazza's offer was too good to refuse.
My neighbour is a Plymouth Argyle fan, and on Wednesday Argyle were playing a friendly at Torquay United, whose blue and yellow colours have run through my veins for many a year.
"I'll give you a lift," said Bazza. "I'll even buy you a pint."
And so we found ourselves in Molloy's at Babbacombe sinking a pint of draught bitter and watching the sports headlines creep across the bottom of the Sky Sports screen.
We made our way to the ground, and Bazza was faced with an agonising decision. Would he come and stand with me on the Popular Side among the supporters of God's own team, or would he don his Pilgrim green and stand in the away end.
He thought long and hard, but he was drawn to his own kind and bade me farewell to stand among the visiting supporters. In fact, as we rounded the corner of Marnham Road a Plymouth fan of such immense girth rounded the corner with us that Bazza was pulled across two lines of traffic and into his gravitational orbit. The last I saw of him pre-match was his bald head disappearing into a seething mass of green. I hoped he would be all right.
I adjourned to the sumptuous surroundings of the press box to renew acquaintances with Dave T, Gordon, Darryl and Ross. You can keep the Bernabeu, the San Siro, the Maracana and all those, there is nowhere on earth I would rather watch football than the Plainmoor press box when the banter is in full flow. The conversation was erudite and intellectual as always. We spent half an hour eulogising about Mark Loram's left foot and Gordon's half-time coffee was a seething industrial strength concoction which would have kept me awake until about 4am if the ITV4 Tour de France podcast on my ipod hadn't put me soundly to sleep long before the final credits rolled.
The football finished 3-3.
I had a surreal moment in Bazza's car when he hopped out to get some cash and left me listening to Don Maclean singing 'Vincent' at high volume, What an interesting song that is, packed with fascinating characters. I would love to meet Colour Changing Hugh one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment