Tuesday 10 November 2009

Personal Best

It was a grumpy day today.
Several things wound my clock today, namely...
A national newspaper exploiting a mother's terrible grief to fit its own agenda;
Another national newspaper marking the 20th anniversary of the unification of a great nation and the end of generations of tyranny by giving away DVDs portraying the glory of war;
A whole nation gripped by X-Factor, not caring that they are being conned, swindled and manipulated by The Man, man;
Another professional footballer cheating his way to success, and the sport accepting that it's now just something that happens;
Rain falling steadily throughout my morning walk with Reg;
My website not loading properly.
Boy, was I grumpy today.
Then I ran a personal best, and everything got better.
We did a 3k time trial tonight. Jamie The Legs flew, as did Sun God and the rest. The Caerphilly Kid knocked a huge chunk off his personal best.
For me it felt as if it was going well. I don't have a stopwatch, so pacing is down to precision, experience and the fact that I am going as fast as I bloody well can at any given moment, stopwatch or no stopwatch.
But when I found I was 10 seconds behind the last runner in the men's race coming up Sands Road (I counted from the time he passed the gates of St Andrews until the time I passed them), and I was still exactly 10 seconds behind him at the finish, there was a danger of the grumpy cloud settling over me again.
But then Alan read the times out and it transpired the whole men's race was pretty fast, and I was a whole three seconds faster than I have ever done that course before.
Good stuff, and i think I know where I can take a chunk off next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment